Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Only Me!!

I would say I'll make this short... but not sure I can!

Monday morning, it rained and poured, and was cold!! A friend's little boy in the neighborhood wasn't feeling well so I brought some things over to them. On the way, we passed a little hound dog that appeared as though he had "gotten out", but I didn't think much of it, and he didn't have a collar. On my way back I passed my next door neighbor (who owns a dachshund that I've only seen once and it was in the dark... because it's never out)! I waved politely at my neighbor and proceeded to my house. As I was pulling in my driveway I saw the hound dog and my neighbors dachshund running down the driveway. I first thought maybe it wouldn't run away since it never gets out, but he and that little hound quickly joined forces! They immediately took off toward the older part of the subdivision. I almost panicked thinking, I can't let my neighbor's pet run away while I watch. SO, I got on the phone and started trying to track down her cell number (knowing no one else was at her home that time of day). I talked with my other next door neighbor who said she would catch her (which took another few phone calls I hear), and I told her to let the owner know I would follow the dog so it wouldn't be lost. We jumped back in the car (Maclain was in pj's a jacket and cowboy boots) and we took off toward the old part of the subdivision. When I realized the dog wasn't slowing down I pulled over and got out to just get it... WET, STINKY, and COVERED IN MUD! I wasn't sure it would come to me, but it did so I put it in the car with me (and Maclain SO thought the dog was ours at this point)!!! The dog was SOOOO muddy from trucking through our empty muddy lots in the new part of the subdivision and was just rolling and jumping all over me (and shivering like it was scared too). I drove home and sat on the front porch with this wet, stinky, muddy dog... as it continued to jump all over me (are you gathering I'm not too much of a dog person... they're okay, just don't HAVE to have one)! After several minutes, the other next door neighbor that I called just happened to be pulling up from grocery shopping, and she knows the owners, and their dog a bit better. She walked over to check on us, and said "That's not Chloe"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My response: "I STOLE A DOG?????" "A WET, STINKY, MUDDY DOG???" "WHAT AM I GOING TO DO WITH THIS DOG"??? There were no tags, and I didn't have a CLUE of who it belonged to!!! I certainly didn't want it, although by this time, Maclain was claiming it as his own!! SO... my only thought was to bring it back to the hound dog where I had just picked it up!!! After all, I had just stolen a dog, stuck it in the car and DROVE it somewhere else!! It sure wouldn't be able to find it's way home now!!! So, back IN the car with the wet, stinky, muddy dog (still shivering and a tad scared, but I guess we can all understand why, NOW)!!! I found the hound dog about two houses down from where I had picked the dachshund up. SO, I parked, walked him over to the hound dog and let him go. They reunited like they were brothers that hadn't seen each other in years. So, I'm thinking maybe they were running together to begin with, and I had just not noticed him when I first got out!!! They ran off with wagging tales having a good old time. I stood in the road covered in mud from my face to my shoes... LITERALLY! It was even in my hair!!! To make it ALL worse, I got in the car, and there was Maclain with tears streaming down his cheek because I had just let HIS dog get away!!!! OH ME!!!

Later that day, my sweet neighbor (the dog owner) called to thank me for the attempt to save her doggie that was warm and cozy in her house!! Apparently Chloe is all brown, and well, a girl.... and the dog I STOLE was mostly black, and NOT a Chloe!!!! Guess I should have gotten to know them more... or at least the dog!!!!

Just another day in my life! How do I get myself into these things??

5 comments:

Melissa McCutcheon said...

Aww. Doggies are the best. You need a dog. It brings you so much joy. Auntie Mel may just have to get MaClain and MADDOX one soon. :) lol

Angie said...

Too funny!!! You have such a big heart!!!

Anonymous said...

How funny! That story was a great way to start the morning. Poor MaClain!!

Cross said...

THAT IS SO FUNNY!!!! Only you!!

Courtney Long said...

that's so funny.